PRODUCTION MANAGER SUMMARY OF FUNCTIONS
The Production Manager supervises and directs manufacturing personnel and processes to ensure efficient and on-time production schedules in accordance with customer, statutory/regulatory, industry, quality, and organizational requirements.
PRODUCTION MANAGER ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develops production schedules in conjunction with the Vice President of Production and Operations; plans, directs, and assigns duties for manufacturing personnel; schedules and authorizes overtime as necessary to meet production schedules.
- Recruits, hires, and trains employees on manufacturing functions; conducts safety orientations and meetings; assures that established policies and procedures are followed.
- Coordinates with the Engineering Manager for development of manufacturing methods, processes, tooling, and molds necessary to produce new products. Reviews and implements engineering change notices as appropriate; updates manufacturing documentation including assembly manuals.
- Oversees and supervise all functions including receiving of components, inventory control, production and interim quality checks and shipping; assures compliance with all regulations and good manufacturing practices.
- Troubleshoots any production problems; assures that machinery, equipment and facilities are properly maintained for efficient production; reports any process or equipment problems to Vice President of Production and Operations and/or Director of Quality.
- Performs other manufacturing duties as required.
Reports to the Vice President of Operations. Coordinates activities with Engineering, Sales, Marketing, and Customer Service. Supervises Production personnel.
The Production Manager Job Description is mentioned in the following procedures:
PRODUCTION MANAGER QUALIFICATIONS
A college degree with a major in business, marketing, or industrial engineering is required; a master’s degree in one of those disciplines is preferred. Good communication skills and the ability to work well with people are essential; good leadership skills are a must. Familiarity with product management and spreadsheet applications (e.g., Excel) is required. Knowledge of Microsoft Project will be beneficial; project management certification (e.g., PMP) is desired.
PRODUCTION MANAGER PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Ability to communicate orally with management, peers, subordinates, employees, and contractors is extremely important. Regular use of a variety of measuring tools, the telephone and e-mail for communication is essential. Standing or sitting for extended periods is common. Hearing and vision within normal ranges is important for conversations, to receive ordinary information and to prepare or inspect building plans, blueprints and drawings.
Heavy lifting is not expected. Exertion of up to 25 lbs. of force occasionally is required. Good manual dexterity for the use of common office equipment such as computer terminals, calculator, copiers, and FAX machines or measuring tools is required.
Good math and reasoning ability is essential. Able to apply statistical calculations, analysis of variance, correlation techniques, and sampling theory as well as geometry, trigonometry, algebra, linear equations, and other analytics as required. Able to understand and utilize architectural or engineering drawings, utilize financial reports and legal documents to conduct business.
The job is performed indoors in a variety of settings including office, manufacturing floor, and warehouse. Exposure to loud noises, dust, dirt, and smoke may occur. Protective safety clothing may occasionally be required including appropriate clothing, shoes, gloves, hardhat, and goggles as needed. Activities include extended periods of standing or sitting and extensive work with measuring devices and other machinery.