The accounting manager job description is outlined in detail below. As a summary, the Accounting Manager directs and organizes all general accounting activities and the accounting staff. The accounting manager also prepares accounting and financial reports. They ensure completeness, accuracy, and timeliness of accounting records. Ensuring accounting systems are in control and taking necessary steps to minimize risk to the organization is also a function of the accounting manager.
ACCOUNTING MANAGER RESPONSIBILITIES
- The accounting manager maintains the general ledger and all related accounts with proper documentation and records of all company transactions. They must also review entries to the general and subsidiary ledgers to assure accuracy and compliance with the company’s and established accounting principles. The accounting manager also controls all changes to chart of accounts. They are responsible for monthly and year-end closing of the general ledger including preparation of journal entries.
- Accounting managers are responsible for maintaining computerized accounting system, backup control, assisting other accounting staff with questions and printing of computer generated reports and statements.
- They accounting manager administers preparation of interim, year-end, and comparative financial reports. They performs and provide analysis of current results to prior periods and/or budget. Prepares required government reports as directed by the controller. Finally, they respond to inquiries as necessary.
- Stays current with developments, therefore they tend to practice trends, and promulgation in the accounting profession. Monitors accounting systems and recommends new or revised policies and procedures.
- Assists the Controller in training and management of accounting staff.
- Prepares monthly bank reconciliation for all accounts. Verifies accuracy of bank statements and resolve questions or problems. Maintains integrity of cash balances and cash flow systems.
- Responsible for review and preparation of payroll records and processing of payroll checks and reports by outside payroll service.
- Maintains fixed asset records and control Determines depreciation terms/rates to apply to capitalized items. Prepares property tax returns for review by Controller.
- Assists the Controller in coordinating the year-end financial audit and preparing schedules and documents for independent (third-party) auditors.
- Maintain other accounts and performs other accounting duties, as required or requested by the Controller.
The Accounting Manager reports directly to the Controller. Assists in the supervision of Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable clerks. The Account Manager Job Description document details all of the organizational relationships of the Accounting Manager.
The Accounting Manager Job Description is mentioned in the following procedures:
ACCOUNTING MANAGER JOB QUALIFICATIONS
Another part of the Accounting Manager Job Description is the job qualifications that the Accounting Manager must or should possess. A college degree is required, and a major in Accounting is preferred. Good communication skills and the ability to work well with people are essential, as are good leadership skills. Familiarity with commonly-used accounting and spreadsheet applications (e.g., Quicken, Excel) is required.
ACCOUNTING MANAGER PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Ability to communicate orally with board of directors, management, and other co-workers, both individually and in front of a group is crucial. Regular use of the telephone and e-mail for communication is essential.
Sitting for extended periods is common. Hearing, vision, and speaking within normal ranges is essential for normal conversations, to receive ordinary information. The accounting manager is also responsible for preparing or inspecting documents.
No heavy lifting is expected. Exertion of up to 10 lbs. of force occasionally may be required. Good manual dexterity for the use of common office equipment such as computer terminals, calculator, copiers, and FAX machines. Also included is the ability to open and close common business filing cabinets.
A good reasoning ability is required to solve a wide range of business problems. Must be able to apply statistical calculations, analysis of variance (ANOVA), correlation techniques, and sampling theory, as well as know algebra, linear equations, and other analytics. As an accounting manager you must be able to understand and utilize common financial reports and legal documents.
The Accounting Manager Job Description details all of the physical demands that are typically put on the Accounting Manager.
The job is performed indoors in a traditional office setting. Account managers must endure extended periods of sitting and extensive work at a computer and/or calculator.