PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT ASSISTANT SUMMARY OF FUNCTIONS
The Product Development Assistant designs, develops, and improves new or existing products and constructs and tests prototypes.
PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT ASSISTANT ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Designs and/or develops new products, including possible proprietary items, according to the organization’s Product Development plan. Researches, creates and builds prototypes to satisfy product design specifications.
- Continually evaluates and searches for improvements to existing products according to changing customer needs, product complaints/dissatisfaction or internal production/servicing difficulties. Reviews adaptation of existing products for new applications or other customer markets.
- Assists in the planning, design, and development of test requirements and any special testing equipment/apparatus to establish product and/or customer specifications; directs and performs testing of prototypes accordingly to verify product reliability and performance requirements.
- Creates and assists in the development of engineering documentation for new products or product changes – documentation may include freehand sketches, detailed drawings/schematics, draft bill of materials, engineering change notices, product specifications, and production instructions.
- Performs other duties requested by the Engineering Manager.
Reports to the Engineering Manager. Coordinates activities with outside consultants or contractors and Manufacturing, Marketing, Sales, and Customer Service.
The Product Development Assistant Job Description is mentioned in the following procedures:
Procedure ID and Name
Policies & Procedures Manual
|AS1080 Design & Development||AS9100|
|PM1010 Product Development||Sales & Marketing|
|QP1100 Design & Development||ISO 9001 QMS|
PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT ASSISTANT QUALIFICATIONS
A high school diploma is required; college-level coursework in business administration or industrial design is preferred. Good communication skills and the ability to work well with people are essential. Familiarity with computer-aided drawing/drafting applications is required; drafting experience is a plus.
Must be able to work independently and as a team member.
PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT ASSISTANT PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Ability to communicate orally with customers, management, and other coworkers is crucial. Regular use of the telephone and e-mail for communication is essential. Sitting for extended periods is common. Hearing and vision within normal ranges is helpful for normal conversations, to receive ordinary information and to prepare or inspect documents.
No heavy lifting is expected. Exertion of up to 10 lbs. of force occasionally may be required. Good manual dexterity for the use of common office equipment such as computer terminals, calculator, copiers, and FAX machines.
Good reasoning ability, ability to think in abstract terms, and design aptitude are required to solve a wide range of business problems. Able to understand and utilize management reports and plans to conduct business.
The job is performed indoors in a traditional office setting. Activities include extended periods of sitting and extensive work at a computer.