The Technical Writer produces instruction manuals and other supporting documents to communicate complex and technical information more easily. They also develop, gather, verify, and disseminate technical information among customers, designers, and manufacturers.
TECHNICAL WRITER ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Determine requirements and preferences of technical documentation users
- Study product samples and discuss with Design & Development
- Assist technical staff in making products easy to use (and make procedures and work instructions less complex, easier to follow)
- Design and develop supporting documentation for products (e.g., user manuals)
- Identify and use photos, drawings, diagrams, and charts to increase user understanding
- Understand and translate complex information for users of varying backgrounds, experiences
- Test documents on designers and users and gather feedback on their usefulness (usability studies)
- Periodically review all documentation for timeliness, accuracy, and usefulness; make corrections/updates as needed
- Manage the document review and approval process
- Develop documentation for a variety of media (print, PowerPoint, video, etc.)
Reports directly to the Training Manager. Works with a variety of designers, developers, technicians, and support staff to develop technical or end user documentation, typically used for training and reference.
The Technical Writer Job Description is mentioned in the following procedures:
|Procedure ID and Name||Policies & Procedures Manual|
|ITSW106 Software Documentation||IT Policies and Procedures Templates /Software Development|
TECHNICAL WRITER QUALIFICATIONS
A bachelor’s degree in journalism or communications is preferred, though 3+ years of experience as a technical writer may be considered in lieu of a degree. required.
Exceptional communication skills and the ability to work well with people at all levels are essential. Would like someone with presentation skills, who is comfortable speaking to groups of 6 or more people.
Experience with MS-Word, PowerPoint, SharePoint, and Visio is required. Candidate should be experienced in Framemaker and wiki development. Experience with PhotoShop, RoboHelp, DreamWeaver, and/or HTML is helpful.
TECHNICAL WRITER PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Ability to communicate orally with customers, vendors, management, and coworkers is crucial. Regular use of phone and email for communication is essential. Hearing and vision correctable to within normal ranges is essential for normal conversations, receiving ordinary information, and preparing or inspecting documents.
The ability to remain in a stationary position roughly 50% of the time, as well as the ability to move about the office occasionally (accessing files/storage, office equipment, computers and other office productivity devices, attending meetings, etc.), is required.
Using a computer while sitting for extended periods is common. Must also be able to position self to maintain equipment, including under tables and desks.
No heavy lifting is expected, though occasional exertion of about 20 lbs. of force (e.g., picking up and carrying binders, laptops) may be required. Good manual dexterity required to use common office equipment (e.g., computers, mobile devices, calculators, copiers, scanners).
The job is performed indoors in a traditional office setting. Extended periods of sitting while using a computer or other devices are common.