SOFTWARE DESIGNER SUMMARY OF FUNCTIONS
The Software Designer helps transform a set of requirements – customer, IT, industry, and legal/regulatory – into software solutions.
SOFTWARE DESIGNER ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Analyze customer needs (RFQs) and develop replies (SOWs); negotiate with customers
- Communicate overall design and approach to a team of programmers; create flowcharts, diagrams, other models, and programming instructions to guide programming team
- Review requirement and design changes, determine what parts of software are affected, and direct programming to meet requirements; determine specific components of
- Develop test scenarios and test cases; review results of test cases and make adjustments, as needed, to meet requirements
- Document all aspects of software, for ongoing maintenance and revisions
- Collaborate with other IT specialists, technicians, etc., to deliver software solutions
- Perform other job-related duties, as needed
Reports directly to a Systems Analyst. Works in conjunction with internal or external customers and other IT staff (designers, developers, administrators, managers, etc.) to facilitate software design, development, testing, and implementation.
The Software Designer Job Description is mentioned in the following procedures:
|Procedure ID and Name||Policies & Procedures Manual|
|ITSW104 Software Design||IT Policies and Procedures Templates /Software Development|
|ITSW105 Software Programming||Computer & Network (IT)/Software Development|
|ITSW107 Software Testing||Computer & Network (IT)/Software Development|
|ITSW108 Design Changes During Development||Computer & Network (IT)/Software Development|
|ITSW109 Software Releases Updates||Computer & Network (IT)/Software Development|
SOFTWARE DESIGNER QUALIFICATIONS
A bachelor’s degree in mathematics, computer science, software engineering, or a related discipline is required; a master’s degree in IT administration or related field of study is preferred. 5+ years of Java or C# programming experience is required.
Must have demonstrated ability to lead a diverse team of programmers/technicians. Good communication skills and the ability to work well with people at all levels are essential. Must be detail oriented, yet creative. Strong math, analytical, and problem-solving skills needed. Project management experience preferred; PMP certification helpful.
Software designer/developer certification is desired.
SOFTWARE DESIGNER PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Ability to communicate orally with customers, IT personnel, other coworkers, and management is crucial. Regular use of phone and email for communication is essential. Hearing and vision correctable to within normal ranges is essential for normal conversations, receiving ordinary information, and preparing or inspecting documents.
The ability to remain in a stationary position roughly 75% of the time, as well as the ability to move about the office occasionally (accessing files/storage, office equipment, computers and other office productivity devices, attending meetings, etc.), is required.
Using a computer while sitting for extended periods is the norm. May occasionally need to position self to install or maintain equipment, including under tables and desks.
No heavy lifting is expected; occasional exertion of about 20 lbs. of force (e.g., carrying binders, reports, laptops) is required. Good manual dexterity required to use common office equipment (e.g., computers, mobile devices).
The job is performed indoors in a traditional office setting. Extended periods of sitting while using a computer and/or other device (smartphone, etc.) are common.
There are no reviews yet.