Software Project Plan Template
The Information Technology Project Manager should create an Software Project Plan Template that describes in detail how the project will be accomplished. ITSW101-1 IT PROJECT PLAN begins with the project definition and expands the technical details to include six required sections:
- Project Overview – Describes the purpose, scope, and objectives of the project as well as assumptions, constraints, risks, project deliverables, schedules, and budget. Any definitions, acronyms, and references should also be described.
- Project Organization – Defines the external interfaces, internal structures, and each person’s roles and responsibilities on the project.
- Managerial Process Plans – Defines all of the management deliverables for the project from the start-up plan to the project closeout plan. Details include: project estimates, staffing, resources, training, scheduling, controls, reporting, tracking, risks, and project metrics. A lot of the managerial process revolves around the work breakdown structure which defines the principal activities in greater project management detail.
- Technical Process Plans – Describes the software processes, models, methods, tools, and techniques including definitions of infrastructure, product acceptance criteria and final deployment plans used for developing the work products or services for the project.
- Supporting Process Plans – Describes all other plans not included above that support the project including: configuration management, verification and validation, documentation, quality assurance, reviews and audits, problem resolution, subcontractor management, and process improvement.
- Additional Plans – Specify or reference any additional plans required to satisfy product requirements and contractual terms, which may include: plans for meeting safety, privacy, or security requirements, special facilities or equipment specification, product installation or integration plans, data conversion and system transition plans, and product training, support and maintenance plans.
Software Project Plan Template Details
Format: Microsoft Word 2013 (.docx)
Manual: Computer & IT
Category: Software Development
Procedure: IT Project Definition Procedure ITSW101