MECHANICAL ENGINEER SUMMARY OF FUNCTIONS
Responsible for the design and manufacture of mechanical systems, as well as their updates.
MECHANICAL ENGINEER ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Explores the project’s theoretical, mechanical, and material problems and performs experiments to achieve new data.
- Uses research information to design a commercially useful product. Specifies every detail of the new product, using computers as an aid in planning.
- Analyzes and tests the new product for performance, safety, and longevity.
- Details the most efficient and inexpensive way of making the product without sacrificing quality standards.
- Uses computers to monitor the mechanical system and makes necessary ongoing adjustments.
- Revises existing products to customize them for customers as necessary.
Reports to the Engineering Manager.
MECHANICAL ENGINEER QUALIFICATIONS
A bachelor’s degree with a major in mechanical engineering is required; graduation from an ABET-accredited program is preferred. A master of science in mechanical engineering is beneficial. Good communications skills (oral and in writing) and the ability to work well with technical and non-technical people are essential. Good organizational, leadership, and computer skills are preferred, as is engineering management experience.
Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, as well as statistical analysis software (e.g., SAS), is extremely beneficial.
MECHANICAL ENGINEER PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Ability to communicate orally with management, other engineers, and coworkers is crucial. Regular use of the telephone and e-mail for communication is essential. Sitting for extended periods is common. Hearing and vision within normal ranges is helpful for normal conversations, to receive ordinary information and to prepare or inspect documents.
No heavy lifting is expected. Exertion of up to 10 lbs. of force occasionally may be required. Good manual dexterity for the use of common office equipment such as computer terminals, calculator, copiers, and FAX machines.
Good reasoning ability is required to solve a wide range of business problems. Able to apply statistical calculations, analysis of variance, correlation techniques, and sampling theory as well as algebra, linear equations, and other analytics as required. Able to understand and utilize management reports and plans to conduct business.
The job is performed indoors in a traditional office setting. Activities include extended periods of sitting and extensive work with computers and other digital electronic devices (e.g., smartphones).
There are no reviews yet.