The Shipping-Receiving Clerk pulls orders and packs and prepares them for shipment. They carry out (and occasionally supervise) shipping and receiving functions and work with parcel and LTL carriers.
SHIPPING-RECEIVING CLERK ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for routing outbound freight to assure delivery as required; monitors carriers performance and tariff charges and determines best carriers for the most cost-effective and reliable delivery within established standards.
- Maintains shipping and receiving logs and maintains files of shipping records. Processes loss freight or shipping damages claims. Verifies freight bills with accounting and resolves errors with carriers.
- Takes finished orders after final quality control inspection and wraps and packs in containers as per required standards. Determines most cost efficient bundling of items (e.g., palletizing or individual packages). Prepares packing lists, bills of lading, and other shipping documentation as necessary.
- Supervises loading and unloading of all delivery trucks. Assures compliance with workplace safety procedures. Limits access to loading docks by unauthorized individuals.
- Receives and inspects external packaging of all incoming shipments. Notifies delivery personnel of any apparent shipping damage and proceeds accordingly. Reviews incoming packing lists and logs and routes to receiving inspection area.
- Receives and process returned goods shipments; completes and forwards return goods authorization (RGA) paperwork. Routes service/repair shipments to Customer Service.
- Performs other shipping/receiving duties, as requested.
Reports to the Production Manager. Works with Sales and Customer Service.
The Shipping-Receiving Clerk Job Description is mentioned in the following procedures:
Procedure ID and Name
Policies & Procedures Manual
|ITAM102 IT Asset Management||IT Policies and Procedures Templates|
SHIPPING-RECEIVING CLERK QUALIFICATIONS
A high school diploma or GED is required. Good math and communication skills and the ability to work well with people are essential. Familiarity with shipping manifest applications is beneficial.
SHIPPING-RECEIVING CLERK PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Ability to communicate orally with management and other co-workers is crucial. Regular use of the telephone and e-mail for communication is essential. Sitting or standing for an extended period is common. Hearing and vision within normal ranges is essential for normal conversations, to receive ordinary information and to prepare or inspect documents.
Heavy lifting may be expected. Exertion of up to 50 lbs. of force occasionally may be required moving boxes and other goods. Good manual dexterity for the use of common office equipment such as computer terminals, calculator, and FAX machines.
Good reasoning ability is required to solve a wide range of business problems. Able to apply algebra or other analytics as required. Able to understand and utilize management reports, memos, and other documents to conduct business.
The job is performed indoors in a traditional warehouse setting. Exposure to common dust, dirt, and noise is expected. Activities include extended periods of sitting or standing and extensive work at a computer and/or loading dock or warehouse.