Uses computer-aided design and development (CAD/CAM) techniques to prepare drawings, diagrams, illustrations, and schematics for product documentation/literature and all types of publications according to company, customer, and regulatory requirements.
DRAFTER-GRAPHIC ILLUSTRATOR ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Is proficient with CAD/CAM software for drafting and illustrating, including three-dimensional (3D) perspectives of documentation to satisfy documentation requirements for Engineering, Manufacturing, Marketing, and Customer Service.
- Renders new product concept illustrations from free-hand sketches or marketing or engineering input. Makes suggestions to product committee on various design requirements and recommends possible solutions or alternate constructions. Prepares evaluations of strength of materials, tolerances and stresses, and weights and cubed dimensions.
- Prepares new or improved product and component documents for engineering and manufacturing including layouts, blueprints, assembly, and detail drawings. This can also include development of drawings for special tools, fixtures, process, and test equipment.
- Creates product or component illustrations including block diagrams, schematics, isometric illustrations, orthographic illustrations, and three-dimensional perspective illustrations for use in marketing literature, manuals, and sales video presentations.
- Creates exploded-view drawings for operation, service, and assembly manuals from product and component detail drawings and bill of materials in accordance with operating/set-up instructions or assembly/disassembly breakdowns.
- Provides other drafting and illustrating services as required by Engineering Services or as requested by the Engineering Manager.
Reports directly to the Engineering Manager. Coordinates activities with other Engineering personnel and with Marketing, Manufacturing, and Customer Service.
DRAFTER-GRAPHIC ILLUSTRATOR QUALIFICATIONS
An associate’s degree in graphic design is required; a bachelor’s degree is preferred. Experience with 2D graphic design software is required; 3D design software experience is preferred.
Good oral and written communication and the ability to work well with people are essential.
DRAFTER-GRAPHIC ILLUSTRATOR PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Ability to communicate orally with customers, management, and coworkers is crucial. Regular use of the telephone and e-mail for communication is essential. Sitting for extended periods is common. Hearing and vision within normal ranges is essential for normal conversations, to receive ordinary information and to prepare or inspect documents.
No heavy lifting is expected. Exertion of up to 10 lbs. of force occasionally may be required. Good manual dexterity for the use of common office equipment such as computer terminals, printers, scanners, copiers, and fax machines.
Good reasoning ability is required to solve a wide range of graphics problems. Able to apply geometry, algebra, and other analytics as required. Able to understand and utilize graphics designs, illustrations, and engineering drawings to conduct business.
The job is performed indoors in a traditional office setting. Activities include extended periods of sitting and extensive work at a computer.
You may also like…
Rated 4.00 out of 5