The accounts payable clerk job description details all of the job functions of the accounts payable clerk. In summary, the accounts payable clerk performs accounts payable accounting function including receiving and matching invoices, account coding, preparation of disbursements, and accounts payable-related record keeping.
ACCOUNTS PAYABLE CLERK ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Receives and processes vendor invoices and internal check requests; maintains open files for purchase orders, packing/receiving slips and matches to invoices. Verifies invoices for quantity, unit pricing, extensions, and applicable discounts. Obtains approval from appropriate personnel for payment for miscellaneous invoices.
- Codes invoices with accounting account numbers according to distribution in the general ledger; determines dates for invoices to be paid; keys invoices into computerized accounts payable system. Maintains alphabetical open invoice file for unpaid invoices.
- On a weekly basis, reviews invoices scheduled for payment and special check requests with Controller, prints approved checks, prepare and routes for signature according to check signing authority.
- Attaches duplicate copy of checks to original invoices, stamps invoices “Paid” and files in permanent records.
- Prints, verifies, and maintains accounts payable voucher reports, open/aging reports, disbursement reports, and journals.
- Receives and answers phone calls from vendors or other departments in regard to payment status of invoices.
- Performs other accounting duties as requested by the Controller.
Reports directly to the Controller. Provides assistance to and receives direction from the General Accounting Manager.
The Accounts Payable Clerk Job Description is mentioned in the following procedures:
Procedure ID and Name
Policies & Procedures Manual
|AS1130 Receiving & Inspection||AS9100|
|FS1090 Purchasing||ISO 22000|
|FS1110 Receiving & Inspection||ISO 22000|
|INV102 Inventory Counts||Accounting Manuals Template|
|PUR102 Purchasing General||Accounting|
|PUR103 Purchasing Project||Accounting|
|PUR104 Receiving & Inspection||Accounting|
|PUR106 Accounts Payable and Cash Disbursement||Accounting|
|QP1210 Receiving & Inspection||ISO 9001 QMS|
|QP1220 Purchasing||ISO 9001 QMS|
ACCOUNTS PAYABLE CLERK QUALIFICATIONS
A high school diploma is required with courses in accounting preferred. Good communication skills and the ability to work well with people are essential. Familiarity with accounting and spreadsheet applications is required.
ACCOUNTS PAYABLE CLERK PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Ability to communicate orally with vendors, management, and other co-workers, both individually and in front of a group is important. Regular use of the telephone and e-mail for communication is essential.
Sitting for extended periods is common. Hearing, vision, and speaking within normal ranges is essential for normal conversations, to receive ordinary information and to prepare or inspect documents.
No heavy lifting is expected. Exertion of up to 10 lbs. of force occasionally may be required. Good manual dexterity for the use of common office equipment such as computer terminals, calculator, copiers, and FAX machines.
Good reasoning ability is important. Able to understand and utilize accounting reports and legal documents to conduct business.
The job is performed indoors in a traditional office setting. Activities include extended periods of sitting and extensive work at a computer monitor and/or calculator.